Friday, September 23, 2005

Rural Week

Just got back from Whyalla for my rural week. It was a very fun week and the food was fantastic! Went to a aged care home to interview some residents there. Interviewed a healthy person followed by one with Dementia to see the difference. People with Dementia can be really adorable.. Even though it's sad that they can't remember anything.. Also went to Myola station which is a sort of a sheep ranch away from the town. The guy who owns it controls 500 square kilometres of land.. That is only slightly smaller than Singapore! Woah! I wish I could at least own a quarter of that.. We travelled around in a flatbed pickup and 17 of us squeezed onto the back and we had a harrowing but fun ride comparable to a roller coaster.. haha.. Living out in the land is so fun although it is so isolated.. Has its pros and cons I guess.. If I don't get to be a doctor I would like to open a ranch too! heh.. Every meal we had there was provided, and they really stuffed us full at every meal, with steak, subway sandwiches etc.. At least the 30k I pay a year has given me some returns.. The town's industry is iron ore refining, so it spews out red dust into the atmosphere, coating the surrounding areas, causing everything to turn red, even plants.. So much that it looks like a Martian landscape.. haha.. Wish I could go back again.. heh.. Well, one week of holidays left.. gotta start preparing for the exams again.. 60 more days till my return to Singapore!

No comments: