Friday, November 27, 2009

November 2009 Daring Baker's Challenge

The November 2009 Daring Bakers Challenge was chosen and hosted by Lisa Michele of Parsley, Sage, Desserts and Line Drives. She chose the Italian Pastry, Cannolo (Cannoli is plural), using the cookbooks Lidia’s Italian-American Kitchen by Lidia Matticchio Bastianich and The Sopranos Family Cookbook by Allen Rucker; recipes by Michelle Scicolone, as ingredient/direction guides. She added her own modifications/changes, so the recipe is not 100% verbatim from either book.

As usual, I had fun with this challenge! As I was in the middle of preparing for major exams, I just used the provided recipe for the ricotta filling but will try other recipes in the future! It was a real workout rolling out the dough as it kept springing back in shape everytime I rolled it out and I perhaps did not persevere enough to roll them out flat enough but I think the outcome was pretty decent.



The empty shells after deep frying. Maybe not as thin as they should be.



After filling with the ricotta and pistachio filling. Yummy!



A closer look.



It was a good snack after a long day of studying. Will definitely try it again when I have more time in the future!

7 comments:

Wic said...

Wow they look delicious.

Audax said...

Don't they look marvellous and so delicious and the cannoli shells are nice and that icing sugar really sets them off so well. Cheers from Audax in Australia.

Unknown said...

These look yummy - Great job! I don't think I would have been able to roll out the dough thinly enough if it weren't for the pasta maker!

Pontch said...

Perfect cannoli
they look amazing !

Unknown said...

Luckily this month's challenge was relatively simple, i could imagine how stressful it would be to study for your exam, yet procrastinate about the challenge. Overall, I think you did an amazing job, did you share your creations with your study buddies?

linda@eatshowandtell.com

Lisa said...

Beautifully done, and the shells looks great..you got blisters :) Yummy, indeed, and so glad you liked them! Thanks for deep frying with me this month!

andromean said...

Thanks for your comments everyone! my study buddies and I did have a good after study snack with the cannoli!