Friday, May 28, 2010

May 2010 Daring Baker's Challenge

The May 2010 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Cat of Little Miss Cupcake. Cat challenged everyone to make a piece montée, or croquembouche, based on recipes from Peter Kump’s Baking School in Manhattan and Nick Malgieri.

This is actually my second time making a croquembouche after having attempted it last year after being inspired by Australia's Masterchef. This time I decided to make a dinner party out of it and I organised a french themed pot luck! The choux pastry actually came together quite easily and turned out quite well!


I did not use any egg wash as I thought the colour looked quite good without any eggwash.


I also decided to make some french meringue using the egg whites left over from making the creme patissier.


The french meringues. My first attempt at meringue!


The fully assembled croquembouche! I added some sugar flowers to go along with the french theme.


I really enjoyed making the croquembouch again and eagerly await next month's challenge!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nicely done! Love it!

Baking Addict said...

Love the addition of meringues. What a great idea to use up the egg whites, I've still got mine.