Friday, May 14, 2010

The Daring Cooks May 2010 Challenge

Our hosts this month, Barbara of Barbara Bakes and Bunnee of Anna+Food have chosen a delicious Stacked Green Chile & Grilled Chicken Enchilada recipe in celebration of Cinco de Mayo! The recipe, featuring a homemade enchilada sauce was found on www.finecooking.com and written by Robb Walsh.

Wow I've never made mexican food from scratch before and this was certainly an adventure. First, one of the ingredients needed for the salsa was tomatillos which I have never heard of before and uncertain whether it was sold in Australia let alone Adelaide! Out of pure luck, while I was grocery shopping in the Central Market, I came across a shop that sold tomatillos! I immediately bought them and made the enchiladas that very weekend!


I could not find any fresh Anaheim Chillis in Adelaide so I bought canned Anaheim chillis from a specialty Mexican shop which were already roasted and peeled. The process of making the enchiladas was not too difficult and the product was really tasty!


The only thing I noticed was that the salsa was a little runny and I wasn't sure if it was normally this runny as I have not had any experience making this. But on the whole I would say this was a delicious success!


On to the next!

4 comments:

shelley c. said...

So great that you were able to find your ingredients so readily! Your enchiladas look beautiful and cheesy and absoltuely delicious. Great job on the challenge!

Barbara Bakes said...

I can just imagine the smile on your face when you stumbled on tomatillos. Great job on the challenge. Thanks for cooking with us!

Audax said...

You found tomatillos!! in Australia you must go out and buy a lotto ticket I tried everywhere in Sydney and only could get a couple from a local grower but I did get a lot of canned stuff easily. The final results look so tasty and delicious and that cheese is extra gorgeous. Well done on this challenge. Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

Mary said...

All that browned cheese looks fantastic and makes me want more enchiladas! I'm glad you managed to find fresh tomatillos, because there's really no substitute.