Tuesday, July 27, 2010

July Daring Baker's Challenge

The July 2010 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Sunita of Sunita’s world – life and food. Sunita challenged everyone to make an ice-cream filled Swiss roll that’s then used to make a bombe with hot fudge. Her recipe is based on an ice cream cake recipe from Taste of Home.-

What a challenge! I think the most challenging aspect of this challenge was making space in my freezer to make this ice cream cake! I've never made swiss rolls or ice cream before so this was a pretty interesting challenge.


I am quite happy with how the swiss rolls turned out! It was a bit daunting at first thinking about rolling the roll but it was actually quite okay and I'm gald it turned out with a pretty decent swirl. Also, the vanilla cream was delicious!

The vanilla and chocolate ice creams were quite straightforward to make and most of the time was spent waiting for them to set in the freezer. I did have some problems with the chocolate ice cream, it took quite long to set, unlike the vanilla ice cream.

Assembling the final bombe was quite fun and I must admit I was a little impatient in assembling each layer of the ice cream and fudge sauce as I was making it for dessert for a dinner party that very night.


I was pretty excited when it came out of the bowl quite easily with the swirl of the swiss rolls preserved nicely!


The chocolate layer of the bombe took quite long to set in the freezer, it was still quite soft after spending about 7 hours in the freezer and we ended up having dessert at midnight!


The layers of the cake turned out pretty well except that the chocolate ice cream later started melting very quickly when I sliced the cake, However the cake was delicious and I am sure my friends felt that it was well worth the wait!

4 comments:

Ruth H. said...

Your Swiss rolls look beautiful! And I am partial to softer ice creams, so I think your end result looks perfect! Great work on this challenge, and thank you for sharing!!

shelley c. said...

WOW - your entire dessert came out beautiful. I am in awe of how wonderfully your swiss roll, well, rolled! It looks stunning on its own, then even more amazing as part of the completed dessert. Really great work on the challenge.

Renata said...

Wow! That looks pretty perfect! I don't think I have seen such perfectly round rolls! Well done! Sounds delicious!

Lisa said...

One of the most perfect swiss rolls I've ever seen! Beautiful job!